General Surgery/blood in urine

Question
Hello -  on Dec. 4th, 2013, I had umbilical hernia surgery.  On 12/09, there was very visible blood in my urine.  I'm 71 and have never had a UTI.  I called the surgeon.  He referred me to the urologist.  I saw the urologist.  By then my urine was clear to the eye.   A urine test revealed microscopic hematuria and leukocytes. The sample was sent to the lab. I was told I had a mild UTI and was given an antibiotic.  I returned the following week for a cystoscopy.  The doctor said that everything looked good, no polyps or anything else that concerned him.  Yesterday, my urine was the color of beef broth.  Later, it appeared clear. It was clear today until the last time I urinated and it was definitely pink.  I have no burning, pain or discomfort upon urinating.  However, there is a fairly large area surrounding my naval (that still sticks out) that hurts, not a lot, but is definitely sore and when pressed, hurts.  I'm frantic.  But, trying to stay calm.  I don't know who to see.  Can you please give me some direction.  Thank you sincerely for your reply.

Answer
Dear Judy,

Your UTI may not have cleared with the antibiotic. The bacteria that affects the bladder can be difficult to kill. Just one organism can start the process all over again. Contact your healthcare provider. Some people need a low dose antibiotic to keep the bacteria under control.  

General Surgery

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC