General Surgery/Aquacel bandage inside wound

few weeks ago, I had a surgery to remove a cyst located in the lower back of about 5 cm in diameter.
Given the location of the cyst, the surgeon chose to not open on to of the cyst, but about 2 cm away and extract it from there.
All was fine, and I had a treatment of Aquacel Ag for 3 weeks, 40cm to be put inside the wound twice a day. Then, as the wound got smaller, it was changed to normal Aquacel, then only half (20cm).

The problem is, yesterday the nurse could not find the aquacel, nor extract it. I am quasi certain that it did not get out of the wound, and a relatively solid mass of about 1.25cm cubic can be felt inside the wound. At the hospital, they could not find it or extract it with a pincet; and I have been told that it is not there, especially if no infection or fever is observed.

If, as I'm quasi sure of it, the aqucel is still inside the wound: is it dangerous to leave it there ? would that create complications ? would it prolongue excessively the healing process ? would the aquacel/bandage be dissolved by the body ?

Dear Gazi,

The aquacel should not dissolve in the wound. If it did not fall out, and you are certain it is in the wound, it will eventually try and work its way out. You may experience pain and redness at the site. If this happens, do not delay. A fever is your body's response to a more serious infection. If the wound heals with no signs of infection, then it is possible that it somehow slipped out of the wound.
Watchful waiting is your best bet.  

General Surgery

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC

GENERAL SURGERY Intestinal obstructions; Perforations; Ostomy; End ileostomy; Hemicolectomy; Take down ileostomy; Ostomy reversals; Diverticulitis; Chrohns Disease; Appendectomy; Cholecystectomy (gallbladder); Ventral hernia repair; Inguinal hernia repair; Umbilical hernia repair; Chest tubes; Pleurex catheters; Lobe-ectomy; Pneumonectomy; Thoracotomy; Pleuradesis; Thyroid surgery; Mastectomy; Lumpectomy LAPAROSCOPIC - LAPAROTOMY - LAPAROSCOPIC ASSISTED

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I am a Hospitalist on the Medical Staff. I round, admit, discharge, consult and assist with surgeries in the OR. I manage patients in the ICU and Med/Surg floors. I also work in the emergency department. I am certified critical care nurse (CCRN). And ACLS certified. I

Society of Hospital Medicine American College of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Practice Registered Nurse Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse