General Surgery/Multiple Hernia repairs

In August 2007, I had cervical disc surgery where the Orthopedic surgeon took a piece of my hip to build a cage in my cervical spine instead of using the bone bank Ö several months later I had problems in the hip surgical area and found that I had an incisional hernia.  I had this hernia repaired and figured, well no harm and go on with my life Ö well, 3 hernia repairs later, I am still dealing with this incisional hernia Ö I do not know what went wrong!  I know the Orthopedic surgeon made a mistake but did the mesh fail me, did the General surgeon fail me?  How do you know if the mesh that was used has been recalled?  Itís not like they sent me a letter to return myself for service .. I just recently had to have another surgery and this time it was an extremely painful and extensive surgery and just short of being an emergency room case. The surgeon told me in 3 Ė 6 months I need a CAT scan to keep an eye on this hernia repair, they didnít expect what they found!   I had a bowel resection planned and ironically the hernia acted up just the day before; otherwise, this would have been an emergency repair.  Should I be getting a lawyer to find out what happened?

Dear Arline,

Is the hip surgery the only surgery ever had? Did you ever have your appendix out? Gallbladder removed? Colon or intestinal surgery? Anything you can think of? The reason I ask is because a hernia is the abdominal contents, either the small intestine or the omentum, slipping through a weakened area of the abdominal cavity. The surgeon would have had to incise the abdomen to reach the hip. It does not seem logical. If you never had abdominal surgery in your entire life, then you may have a case.  

General Surgery

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC

GENERAL SURGERY Intestinal obstructions; Perforations; Ostomy; End ileostomy; Hemicolectomy; Take down ileostomy; Ostomy reversals; Diverticulitis; Chrohns Disease; Appendectomy; Cholecystectomy (gallbladder); Ventral hernia repair; Inguinal hernia repair; Umbilical hernia repair; Chest tubes; Pleurex catheters; Lobe-ectomy; Pneumonectomy; Thoracotomy; Pleuradesis; Thyroid surgery; Mastectomy; Lumpectomy LAPAROSCOPIC - LAPAROTOMY - LAPAROSCOPIC ASSISTED

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I am a Hospitalist on the Medical Staff. I round, admit, discharge, consult and assist with surgeries in the OR. I manage patients in the ICU and Med/Surg floors. I also work in the emergency department. I am certified critical care nurse (CCRN). And ACLS certified. I

Society of Hospital Medicine American College of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Practice Registered Nurse Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse