General Surgery/Post-op instructions for Abdominal Adhesion removal surgery

Question
I am a 60 year-old post-menopausal woman who just had (April 10) a Da Vinci assisted robotic hysterectomy after a diagnosis of endometriod adenocarcinoma of the endometrium.I have a total of 5 small incisions.In addition, the uterus was removed vaginally as there wasn't much enlargement. At the same time I had a surgical removal of extensive symptomatic pelvic and abdominal adhesions. The adhesions were removed robotically as well. I was not made aware of the extent of the adhesions until the next day.
At pre-op  I received post-op instructions for the hysterectomy (and associated lymph node biopsies, etc) but not for the adhesion removal. I am experiencing severe abdominal pain after eating and drinking a moderately-sized meal. I should add that I have collagenous colitis, so I assumed my abdominal discomfort was related to the colitis. However the persistence and nature of the pain and associated digestive issues lead me to the conclusion that the adhesion removal was a major contributing factor. I called post-op today and they just said to eat very small meals. Could you please give me some specific guidelines to follow so that I do not jeopardize my recovery. I could not find post-op instructions for adhesion removal online. I could only find info concerning the recurrence of adhesions after abdominal surgery. I was told by the surgeon that adhesions removed robotically do not reoccur. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank-you

Answer
Dear Harriet,

I do not think I understand your question. Adhesions are strands of tissue that forms inside the abdominal cavity following surgery. Some people produce more adhesions than others. They are not anything you can see from outside the body. Therefore, there is no way to prevent them or remove them aside from surgery. If you can be more specific, I may be able to you.

General Surgery

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC