General Surgery/inguinal hernia after surgery ques

Question
Hi my mom went to er last night with very bad nausea. they gave her nausea meds and took a ct scan of her stomach. showed she had bowel obstruction so they had to put her in hospital. they put atube down her throat to drain some of that stuff that was in her. now she had surgery seems to be recovering ok. I am just upset that nurses seem lazy to take her for a walk.she had to ask and then nurse said even to sit in a chair is good. she kind of seemed annoyed that I pointed out importance to walk and keep her blood flowing and get her stronger. she felt good when she did take a 5 min walk in hall. my ques is she still had tube they put down her throat. doc said is gonna leave it there til she has a bowel movement. her stomach feels a little sore which I know is comon as she had lasaresteric surgery not sure how to spell it but the one that uses laser. my ques is I read that she should be on a dirt of soups and soft foods but she hasn't been given any ofood yet she is just on ivtubes down her throat which is very uncmfy for her. is this right that the docs are doing that? Shouldn't she be getting food in her so she can be able to use bathroom? pls advise thank u

Answer
Dear Linda,

First, you are correct. Walking is much better than sitting in a chair as long as the person is up to it. As far as the nasogastric tube, it is kept in place until the patient passes gas through the rectum or has a bowel movement. Food is withheld until one or both of these things occur as well. Passing gas or having a bowel movement shows us that the swelling has subsided and peristalsis, which is the movement within the large intestine, has returned. At the right time the tube will be removed and your mom will be allowed to eat. Hope this helped.  

General Surgery

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC