General Surgery/Do I have a case against this doctor?

My brother has been having issues with internal and external hemorrhoids bleeding, to the point that his hemoglobin levels are extremely low. The last time his doctor tested him, he was at 8.4. Three weeks prior to that he was at 10.3. His doctor was concerned and told him that she would schedule him for surgery, but in the meantime if he feels dizzy or lightheaded to go to the emergency room. I took him to the emergency room yesterday (four days after the 8.4 test) and his hemoglobin tested at 8.0. They had orders set up to get him a blood transfusion, but then the hospital had a shift change. From the moment the new doctor came in the room, my brother felt that the doctor just didn't want to be there and didn't want to deal with him. Even though his blood was so bad that they initially were going to give him a transfusion (he actually already had an IV in place), the doctor cancelled the transfusion, then gave him a prescription for iron pills and discharged him. We feel that if the previous doctor felt a blood transfusion was necessary, then it was gross negligence on the new doctor's part to cancel it. Do we have a case to file a complaint against this doctor for malpractice?

Dear Janelle,

Unfortunately in medicine there are several correct answers. Unless there is a history of heart attack or coronary artery disease, the new guidelines discouraged a blood transfusions for a hemoglobin greater than 7.0. I agree that a hemoglobin of 8.0 is low. However, he is bleeding very slowly for his hemaglobin to drop 0.4 points in 4 days. Both providers were correct. I do not believe you have a case v

General Surgery

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC

GENERAL SURGERY Intestinal obstructions; Perforations; Ostomy; End ileostomy; Hemicolectomy; Take down ileostomy; Ostomy reversals; Diverticulitis; Chrohns Disease; Appendectomy; Cholecystectomy (gallbladder); Ventral hernia repair; Inguinal hernia repair; Umbilical hernia repair; Chest tubes; Pleurex catheters; Lobe-ectomy; Pneumonectomy; Thoracotomy; Pleuradesis; Thyroid surgery; Mastectomy; Lumpectomy LAPAROSCOPIC - LAPAROTOMY - LAPAROSCOPIC ASSISTED

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I am a Hospitalist on the Medical Staff. I round, admit, discharge, consult and assist with surgeries in the OR. I manage patients in the ICU and Med/Surg floors. I also work in the emergency department. I am certified critical care nurse (CCRN). And ACLS certified. I

Society of Hospital Medicine American College of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Practice Registered Nurse Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse