General Surgery/Hernia?

Hi Dr Cipriano, I am a 50 year old woman, slightly overweight (65 kg when my max healthy weight for my height should be 60kg).  For the last month I have been having lower abdominal "pulsations" or "fasiculations" they are either central  or more to the right - to give you an idea of how low they are, they are roughly where my hysterectomy scar is (performed 7 years ago).  Ther is no sharp pain and I notice these fasiculations mainly when I stretch when I am lying in bed or sometimes when sitting and I'm a little bloated after a meal.  They tend to come and go and aren't necessarily a daily thing but may happen many times in one day or night.  I also suffer from IBS but these are very new symptoms - I was wondering if I could have a hernia?  I did see my general practitioner this morning but I went to him with another problem as well and as he was busy didn't pay much attention to this second complaint - he also has a propensity to blame everything on my IBS.  I was hoping you could give me an opinion?  Thank you so much for your help, Sophia

Dear Sophia,

The right lower quadrant of the abdomen is where the appendix is located. It is also where the small intestine and large intestine meet. This is called the ileocecal valve. This area tends to cause pain especially for people with IBS. In the USA, 50 years old is the age to get your first colonoscopy. If this is the same in Australia, I recommend you get a colonoscopy if you have not done so already.  

General Surgery

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC

GENERAL SURGERY Intestinal obstructions; Perforations; Ostomy; End ileostomy; Hemicolectomy; Take down ileostomy; Ostomy reversals; Diverticulitis; Chrohns Disease; Appendectomy; Cholecystectomy (gallbladder); Ventral hernia repair; Inguinal hernia repair; Umbilical hernia repair; Chest tubes; Pleurex catheters; Lobe-ectomy; Pneumonectomy; Thoracotomy; Pleuradesis; Thyroid surgery; Mastectomy; Lumpectomy LAPAROSCOPIC - LAPAROTOMY - LAPAROSCOPIC ASSISTED

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I am a Hospitalist on the Medical Staff. I round, admit, discharge, consult and assist with surgeries in the OR. I manage patients in the ICU and Med/Surg floors. I also work in the emergency department. I am certified critical care nurse (CCRN). And ACLS certified. I

Society of Hospital Medicine American College of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Practice Registered Nurse Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse