General Writing and Grammar Help/"Also" in front of a verb

Bruce Hurley wrote at 2013-08-11 17:27:13
The confusion may come from the split infinitive rule where we don't want to put any qualifiers between "to" and the verb (e.g. to slowly run). In this case, however, placement of "also" is crucial to the meaning.

It is not forbidden to put the word "also" between "I" and "can." On the contrary, it is necessary to do so in order to avoid confusion.

You can also (not "also can") certainly rephrase the statement to avoid the problem if you find the resulting sentence awkward.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone

I`ve taught writing or some aspect of the English language for nearly 35 years. I can answer nearly any question on grammar, usage or meanings of words above dictionary usage. An avid crossword fan and writer, I can also answer questions about business presentations and resumes.

I have worked with words all my life as a teacher of the language and as an amateur and professional writer. Communication is a vital force in my life and everyone else's.

Sigma Delta Chi, NY Press Association, NY Publishers Association

BA in English from the University of Buffalo, MEd in English from SUNY Buffalo, MA in English Literature from SUNY Buffalo. Course work in Journalism from Syracuse Univ., in Linguistics from Rutgers Univ. and Journalism from Univ. of Texas and Ohio Univesrity.

Chancellor's Award for Excellence Teaching SUNY, Distinguished Teaching Award SUNY Morrisville, Who's Who in American Journalism Education