General Writing and Grammar Help/Grammar - other's or others'

Mezbahuddin Rijvee wrote at 2009-11-08 21:36:41
They're both correct but others' is better in some places. Other's is misspelled on yahoo answers and on this website. So you should use others' instead of other's.  

Grace wrote at 2012-09-04 17:50:26
On Yahoo Answers many correct terms appear as spelling errors. Indeed, most spellcheck programs show correct expressions as errors. Instead of making an error because a program told you misinformation, just skip over correct words and expressions by using the "ignore" button.

Indeed, this site tells me "spellcheck" is wrong. I choose to use it because it is the word that best communicates what I am saying. Also, I checked "other's" here because Yahoo Answers told me I had made an error. So double check and use your best brain.

sandy wrote at 2013-04-02 02:31:02
shouldn't you tell him that he shouldn't have capitalized Master's?

and since he just wrote masters alone-technically doesn't that mean he didn't even need an apostrophe?

"generically, you would write masterís degree:

Jack has finally earned his masterís degree.

Speaking of a specific degree, you would capitalize Master:

He holds a Master of Fine Arts from State University."

(taken from

alwayslearning wrote at 2013-08-11 20:34:06
Thank you for the well explained answer....this word has befuddled me many times when I am writing. Although I am not a professional writer, I try to do it right when I do.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone

I`ve taught writing or some aspect of the English language for nearly 35 years. I can answer nearly any question on grammar, usage or meanings of words above dictionary usage. An avid crossword fan and writer, I can also answer questions about business presentations and resumes.

I have worked with words all my life as a teacher of the language and as an amateur and professional writer. Communication is a vital force in my life and everyone else's.

Sigma Delta Chi, NY Press Association, NY Publishers Association

BA in English from the University of Buffalo, MEd in English from SUNY Buffalo, MA in English Literature from SUNY Buffalo. Course work in Journalism from Syracuse Univ., in Linguistics from Rutgers Univ. and Journalism from Univ. of Texas and Ohio Univesrity.

Chancellor's Award for Excellence Teaching SUNY, Distinguished Teaching Award SUNY Morrisville, Who's Who in American Journalism Education