General Writing and Grammar Help/adjective or passive voice

Question
Dear Ted,

Would you please help me with the following sentence:

“The population of Belgium is composed of Flemish and Walloons.”

My question concerns: “is composed”.

Is “composed”  a “passive verb” or an “adjective” in this sentence?

Would you also please help me to parse this sentence.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Rich

p.s.  I tried again on a different day, and I was able to access the Internet site you recommended in your answer to my last question.  This site helped be very much.  Thank you

Answer
Dear Rich:

I am glad that you were able to access the "commnet" site.  It is especially good, because the authors break down parts of sentences and parts of speech into sub-categories.  Instead of looking at "adjectives in general," you are given the options to search for different kinds of adjectives.

*****

My question concerns: “is composed”.

"Is composed" is a passive voice verb.  Here's a way to test it:  Change the sentence to active voice -- Flemish and Walloons COMPOSE Belgium's population.

The - article
population - subject
of Belgium - adjective prepositional phrase modifying "population"
is composed - verb, passive voice
of Flemish and Walloons - adverbial prepositional phrase modifying [telling HOW] the verb "is composed"

REVISION --

Flemish and Walloons -- proper nouns as subjects
compose -- active voice verb
population -- direct object of the verb "compose"
Belgium's -- possessive adjective describing "population"

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt