General Writing and Grammar Help/Enter a place - get into a place

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to get into a place" and "to enter a place"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** "Enter a place" simply means that you go into it, usually through a door.  If you are committing the crime of "breaking and entering," you may use other means, such as breaking and entering through a window.  For usual entrances, you would say "I entered the store."  Or, "I entered the classroom."

*** "To get into a place" suggests that the entrance is not so common and that it might be difficult.  "To get into a place" suggests that there will be some difficulty with your entering.

EXAMPLES:

After the building collapsed, rescue workers found it difficult TO GET INTO what was left of the structure.  They had to find open spaces or holes in the rubble.

The new restaurant has a long waiting list of prospective diners.  It may be impossible TO
GET INTO the dining area.

Because of its high standards, few students are able TO GET INTO Harvard University.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt