General Writing and Grammar Help/third person and passive voice

Question
Hi Martha, just curious why must we use the third person and the passive voice in writing a thesis. Why is it the traditional and the proven way. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Answer
It is more "impersonal" and therefore carries more weight.  Using the first person and active voice makes the writing sound more like a conversation or a diary entry.

I carried out this experiment 10 times. [this assumes the research was carried out by you & this is your thesis]
The experiment was carried out 10 times by the primary investigator. [you are describing the methodology]

mb

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis