General Writing and Grammar Help/Let go of

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "let go of" mean in the following extract?

Sex is one of the few activities in life where goal-setting is unhelpful. Let go of expectations that you need to perform. Be curious but don't over-analyse.

Also, would you please give me some other examples of how to use the above expression/phrase?

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Sex is one of the few activities in life where goal-setting is unhelpful. Let go
of expectations that you need to perform. Be curious but don't over-analyse.

Also, would you please give me some other examples of how to use the above
expression/phrase?

*** "Let go of" means to "get rid of" or "forget about."  The idea is that, if a person enters into a sexual relationship with ideas of HOW that relationship should proceed, he is likely to be disappointed with his not being able to live up to those expectations.  He needs to remove these ideas from his mind -- get rid of them.

EXAMPLES:

If you let go of your parents' ideas for your life, you will be free to explore your own future, unhindered by their expectations.

Let go of the restraints of the past; live with the freedoms of your future.

Once I was able to let go of [forget about] my obsession with Maria, I was able to find a new girlfriend.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt