General Writing and Grammar Help/adverbial prepositional phrase

Question
Dear Ted,  

My question is about the following sentence:
“Many Italian cities are full of monuments.”

Can you please tell me if  “of monuments” is an adverbial prepositional phrase that modifies the adjective “full”?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

Can you please tell me if  “of monuments” is an adverbial prepositional phrase
that modifies the adjective “full”?

*** It certainly is.  The adjective "full" describes "cities."  The question becomes "Full of what?"  The answer to that question modifies the adjective "full."  "Of monument" is, therefore, and adverbial preposition phrase.

*** Your sentence is colloquial.  We don't usually use "full of" to describe cities or monuments.  Another version is this:  Many Italian cities are filled with monuments.  

A much better version is this:  Many Italian cities have a great number of monuments.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt