General Writing and Grammar Help/Appositives & restrictive/nonrestrictive clauses

Question
Dear Ted,

Is there a relationship between "appositives" and
"restrictive/nonrestrictive clauses"?

As always, many, many thanks for your precious help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

"restrictive/nonrestrictive clauses"?

*** I don't think the word "relationship" is the right one to use.  An appositive gives additional information that is not required for the meaning of the sentence.  In that respect, it is similar to a nonrestrictive clause.  Clauses, however, must have a subject and a verb, but appositives do not.

EXAMPLES:

Barack Obama, President of the United States, was re-elected to a second four-year term.  "President of the United States" is an appositive, telling who Obama is.  It is similar to a nonrestrictive clause in that it is not necessary.  However, its structure is FAR DIFFERENT from a clause.

I can make the appositive into a clause:  Barack Obama, who is the President of the United States, was re-elected to a second four-year term.  By adding a subject [who] and a verb [is], the appositive is now an adjective clause.

By the way, appositives can be exchanged for the word or words in which they are in apposition, and the sentence will mean the same thing.  The same practice CANNOT be applied to nonessential clauses.

Barack Obama, President of the United States, was re-elected . . .

The President of the United States, Barack Obama, was re-elected . . .

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt