General Writing and Grammar Help/The BBC's director general, George Entwistle has resigned......

Question
Dear Ted:

The following sentence is taken from the BBC News website:

The BBC's director general, George Entwistle has resigned in the wake of Newsnight child abuse broadcast.

My question is this:

Do you find the above sentence correctly punctuated? Don't you think "George Entwistle" should be placed/put within commas?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S.

>Is the sentence "The following sentence is taken from the BBC News website:" correctly written?

>Is the question "Don't you think 'George Entwistle' should be placed/put WITHIN commas?" correctly formulated or should I have written, "Don't you think 'George Entwistle' should be placed/put AROUND commas?"

Answer
Dear Paolo:

The BBC's director general, George Entwistle has resigned in the wake of
Newsnight child abuse broadcast.

My question is this:

Do you find the above sentence correctly punctuated? Don't you think "George
Entwistle" should be placed/put within commas?

*** The punctuation is incorrect.  The BBC has only ONE "director general."  Adding his name, as an appositive, provides unnecessary but useful information.  His name should be preceded and followed by commas.

Paolo

P.S.

>Is the sentence "The following sentence is taken from the BBC News website:"
correctly written?

*** YES

>Is the question "Don't you think 'George Entwistle' should be placed/put WITHIN
commas?" correctly formulated or should I have written, "Don't you think 'George
Entwistle' should be placed/put AROUND commas?"

*** You cannot write "put AROUND commas."  You can write that commas are PUT AROUND them. "They are put WITHIN commas" is much better.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt