General Writing and Grammar Help/Get the chance - have the chance

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to GET the chance to do something" and "to HAVE the chance to do something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo.

P.S. Is the question "Is there ANY difference between....." or should I write, "Is there A difference between....."?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there any difference between "to GET the chance to do something" and "to HAVE
the chance to do something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

*** Here is the difference:  "GET" implies some action on YOUR part, as if you had to work for the chance.  It suggests that YOU have done something that results in the "getting."  "HAVE" does not suggest such involvement on your part.  You may have been sitting in class one day, and the professor offered you a ticket to attend a concert.  The only reason he made the offer is that you were the closest person to him.  It just happened.  "Have" indicates a passiveness on your part.  "Get" means that you have done something "active."

Would you please give me some examples?

I GOT the highest grade in class, because I studied hard.

If my parents are able to raise the money, I WILL HAVE the chance to study in London this summer.

I GOT a venereal disease from a prostitute.

My boss offered me a different job.  Now I HAVE the opportunity to earn more money.

Ted

Paolo.

P.S. Is the question "Is there ANY difference between....." or should I write,
"Is there A difference between....."?

**** You can use either one.  "ANY" sounds more specific; "A" is rather general.  But, they mean the same thing.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt