General Writing and Grammar Help/Cohabitation

Question
1. I've just graduated from university of medicine in October.
2. I was a normal employee at a post office in my sophomore year of university.
3. Cohabitation is always a subject that creates lots of arguments and comments.

Dear Ted! Are these three sentences good enough for written English?

Thank you so much

Answer
Dear Steven:

I just noticed that you are in Ho Chi Minh City.  I have helped a student at the university there.  I have not heard from him for several months.

**********

First, since you are naming the month of your graduation, the use of the present perfect tense is not good.  "Just" means VERY recently; it does not mean a month ago.    You also need to use the indefinite article "a" before the word "university."  If there is just ONE university, you would either give its name or write "THE university of medicine."

Here is my suggested revision:  I graduated from a university of medicine in October.

Is it necessary to use the adjective "normal"?  I don't understand what you mean.  You also have written a sentence with too many phrases, and that style of writing is not "smooth" or "professional."  You have three prepositional phrases added together.

My suggestion:  During my sophomore year of university, I was employed at a post office.

This sentence is good.  I would call "cohabitation" a SITUATION, rather than a SUBJECT, but SUBJECT is NOT wrong.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt