General Writing and Grammar Help/comma

Hope you are well!

A question about my letter. Why do you say that a comma is needed after "ago"?

"Mom came to my room a couple of minutes ago, on the pretext of opening the window."

I hadn't put any comma, but you say that the comma is needed. Why? Please explain your reasons.

Many thanks and all the best to you and yours!
Please keep in touch and enjoy life!

ANSWER: You don't need one; it's just my preference.

Have a good weekend!  

QUESTION: Many thanks.

Would you please explain why you prefered to use a comma?

Have a good weekend!

ANSWER: It calls attention to the implication that Mom came into the room on an artificial errand.

QUESTION: Thanks a lot.

I am curious to know more about the use of the comma in my letter. Would you please explain more about the comma you used after "ago"?

Please mention some more examples. I want to learn this use of comma.

Your curous student

It's a prepositional phrase.  If you put this at the front of the sentence, you need a comma.  I like one before it if you put the prep. phrase at the end.  Just a personal preference to add clarity, based on how the punctuation would be if the phrase were at the beginning of the sentence.  

As I noted before, it also aids the eye....and I like it for emphasis on the descriptive nature of the main clause that follows.

By eating dinner with us, he became our friend.
Without telling us why, he ate all the chocolate and left none for us.
Before you may go, you must do your homework.
Against my instructions, he borrowed the hat and put it on his head.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis

I will answer questions having to do with grammar, plurals, punctuation, capitalization, mood, person, tense, and so on, as well as word usage and word choice. If you want a quick answer to a specific question, particularly if you wish to use formal American English for business or academic purposes (MLA), I can give you a timely response. I also can address word choice, clarity, structure, and similar concerns involving English as a second language. If you want advice of a deeper editorial nature (e.g., substantive [line] editing), please consult an Expert who offers this sort of assistance; I do not offer this sort of assistance.

I was employed as an editor for the graduate school at a major U.S. university and specialized in dissertations. I have over 200 publications in professional journals, consumer magazines, and newspapers. I am the author of five books and numerous syllabi in an arts field. I also am a freelance line editor, copy editor, and proofreader (over 40 years), and I have written or edited countless community organizations' newsletters and promotional materials.

Note: When using a word as a word in a sentence, such as: Put a period after the word dog, =dog= should be set in italics. Since I do not have access to italics here, I shall use = on either side of the word or phrase that properly should appear in italics. For the above example: Put a period after the word =dog=. Also, ~~please do not mark your questions as private~~. I will change them to public because I don't want to type the same answer twice! Thanks for your understanding.

If you submit a question to other Experts or the pool, I'd appreciate it if you would >>NOT<< submit it to me, also. It's like asking several people out on a date and choosing among those who said yes! This implies my time and particular expertise are worth nothing to you. I want to spend my time responding to those who find my qualifications germane to their question. Remember: I'm a volunteer!

Education B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa Ph.D.

I ask that you >>COME BACK TO READ MY RESPONSE<<. I've taken time to write the best response I can, so you should come back to read it! It's disheartening to respond to a question, only to see later that the person has not bothered to come back. Remember: I'm a volunteer!

I am happy to help you - that's why I volunteered - but please remember I *am* a volunteer and extend me normal courtesies, such as no multiple submissions and not bothering to come back for your answer. mb