General Writing and Grammar Help/commas

Question
Is a comma appropriate in the sentence below?

Now my Mom was gone, but in another way.

(I'm talking about my mother's dementia and that she is emotionally gone - not physically.

Thanks

Answer
Dear Patty:

(I'm talking about my mother's dementia and that she is emotionally gone - not
physical

***** The comma is very appropriate.  By using the conjunction "but" and the comma, you suggest some sort of alternative to "my Mom was gone."  Of course, I would have no idea what you mean if you hadn't provided the explanation about her dementia.

Let me make a suggestion:

Since your mother is physically with you, it would be more appropriate to use the present tense:  Now my Mom IS gone, but in another way.

Ted Nesbitt

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt