General Writing and Grammar Help/Expert

Question
QUESTION: Hi my dear teacher

How are you? Life is great as usual. Hope you are doing fine too.

When I send a message through Allexperts, I receive the following message:

"We've sent your question to the Expert."

Here is my question: why is the letter "e" in the "expert" in capital? Please explain your reasons.

Many thanks and take care. I wish you all the best.
Hame

ANSWER: It's a proper name.  All is well here!
mb

QUESTION: Thanks. I know what you mean. But I still think there is a problem.

Let's suppose that the name of the expert is "Peter."

"We've sent your question to the Peter." ( The Peter?!!! What is the function of "The"??????

Here is my question: Your explanation would be correct if there isn't an article "the" before the word "expert."

What is the function of the article "the" before "expert"?

I think the use of "e" in capital is wrong.

Many thanks

ANSWER: It should read =to an Expert=, not =to the Expert=.  =The Expert= means there's only one.

You are right; sending a letter =to the Peter= is ridiculous!  Since there is only one Peter (let us presume this is so!), it would be =to Peter=.

I suppose =to an expert= is grammatically more correct than =to an Expert=.  You have caught us out!
mb

QUESTION: Thank you.

You say that it should read "to an Expert."

But I think the use of the "an" is wrong. According to you, it should read: "We have sent your question to AN Peter."

Do we have "An Peter" in English? I think it Allexperts should have written:
"We have sent your question to Expert."

What do you think?
Best and thank you

Answer
=to Peter= (this is the man's name - a specific man)
=to Expert= is NOT correct (unless a specific person's name is "Expert")

~~

=to an Expert= (this is the generic/honorific name of the person who is providing expert help on this site)

~~

=to an expert= (this is a general person with expertise - not on this site; people on this site designated with expertise are called Experts)
mb

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis