General Writing and Grammar Help/My geology professor, I am collecting data for................

Question
Dear Ted:

Is the following sentence acceptable in casual/informal English?  

My geology professor, I am collecting data for, is in Iceland for two weeks.

By the way, is the above sentence correctly punctuated or should I use no commas before and after "I am collecting data for"?

As  always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "Should I use no commas before and after 'I am collecting data for'" correctly written or should I have written , "Should I use no commas AROUND 'I am collecting data for'"?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

By the way, is the above sentence correctly punctuated or should I use no commas
before and after "I am collecting data for"?

*** NO.  The sentence is not acceptable.  There should be no commas used.  I would NOT use this sentence, even in speaking casually.

Other possibilities:

My geology professor, for whom I am collecting date, is in Iceland for two weeks.

I am collecting data for my geology professor, who is in Iceland for two weeks.

Ted

P.S. Ted, is the question "Should I use no commas before and after 'I am
collecting data for'" correctly written or should I have written , "Should I use
no commas AROUND 'I am collecting data for'"?

*** Either way is correct.  AROUND is just one preposition; BEFORE and AFTER are two prepositions.  I would use the singular version, but that's just my preference.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt