General Writing and Grammar Help/grammar

Question
Dear Jerry,
I am writing up some advertising and was unsure of the proper grammar for the following sentence:

"We are looking forward to caring for your and your family's hearing health."

I had it proofread by a friend who indicated that the first "your" should just be "you" which I had wrestled with myself, but decided that if I removed "and your family's" from the sentence, then "your hearing health" is correct.  I suppose the other interpretation is that "We are looking forward to caring for 1) you and 2) your family's hearing health."

Please advise. It may come down to which one sounds better, and if so, I would probably go with "you."

Thank you for your time and volunteer service.

Clint

Answer
Clint,

Changing to you will change the meaning of the sentence. Now, you're talking about you the total package (object of preposition for) or your total health not hearing health.

Left at your (adjective modifying hearing health) confines what you're caring for down to just hearing not total package.

I hope that makes it clear.

Jerry Leone

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone