General Writing and Grammar Help/one of my letter mistakes

Question
Hi dear teacher

Hope all is well with you!

I have a question regarding one of your corrections.

You say that the sentence "It makes me glad to see that I am a useful citizen." in my letter should be as follows:

"I AM GLAD to see that I am a useful citizen."
Your explanation is as follows:

"-I am glad- is more idiomatic than -it makes me- because -I am glad- is active voice.  Active voice is always to be preferred......do you see I have used active voice?!  Active voice is sort of "looking at" rather than "doing."  A better version:  Use active voice, rather than passive voice."

Would you please explain more about your explanation? How do you understand that "It makes me glad ...." is not active voice and "I am glad ...." is active voice?

Please explain more about "active voice" and "passive voice."

Many thanks
Hame

Answer
Passive voice means the thing RECEIVES the action rather than DOES the action.

~~

In your sentence: -me- receives the action (-makes-) of -it-.  Notice that -it- is the subject of the sentence, not -me-.  

(I know you are grinding your teeth at the idea of -me makes- as a correct construction!!)

Here are the skeletons of the two sentences.

I am. (active)
-I- is doing the action. [-I- is the subject of the sentence.]

It makes [me].  (passive)
-It- is doing the action.  [-It- is the subject of the sentence.]
-Me- is the recipient of the action.

~~

If you want to specify what made me happy, in active voice, you would say:
I am happy that....

~~

Happy weekend!
mb  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis