General Writing and Grammar Help/Liverpool goalkeeper..................

Question
Dear Ted:

How would you punctuate the following two sentences?

Also, would you please check the grammar of them?

1) Liverpool goalkeeper Ray Clemence has said that the team need a second striker if they want to win the league.

2) Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has warned his opponents that tomorrow's afternoon match will be a battle.

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

1) Liverpool goalkeeper Ray Clemence has said that the team need a second
striker if they want to win the league.

2) Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has warned his opponents that
tomorrow's afternoon match will be a battle.

*** The grammar is correct.

I would not change the punctuation in either sentence.  Both "Liverpool goalkeeper" and "Manchester United defender" are positions on football teams.  They are similar to TITLES.

However, I can add a couple of words which will require a change in punctuation:

The Liverpool goalkeeper, Ray Clemence, has said . . . .

One of Manchester United defenders, Rio Ferdinand, has warned his opponents. . . .

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt