General Writing and Grammar Help/Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand......

Question
Dear Ted:

Consider the sentence below:

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has warned his opponents that tomorrow's afternoon match will be a battle.

Would it mean that Manchester United has/have just one defender If I rewrote the sentence in the following way?

The Manchester United defender, Rio Ferdinand, has warned his opponents that tomorrow's afternoon match will be a battle.

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Is the question "Would it mean that Manchester United has/have just one defender If I rewrote the sentence in the following way?" correctly written? Also, would you please give me some alternatives to this question?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Consider the sentence below:

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has warned his opponents that
tomorrow's afternoon match will be a battle.

Would it mean that Manchester United has/have just one defender If I rewrote the
sentence in the following way?

The Manchester United defender, Rio Ferdinand, has warned his opponents that

*** Using "THE" to begin the sentence suggests that the team has just one defender.  You are giving his name [within commas] as additional, but not required information.

*** If you are certain that the team has MORE THAN ONE DEFENDER, you would begin your sentence with "A Manchester United defender, Rio Ferdinand, has warned . . . . "  By beginning the sentence with "THE Manchester United . . . .," you are suggesting that there is more than one defender on the team.  A person like you, knowledgeable about football, would not be confused.  However, most people in the United States have no idea how many defenders a team has.  To be VERY CLEAR, you would start with "ONE OF MANCHESTER UNITED'S DEFENDERS, Rio Ferdinand, has warned . . . .   By starting the sentence with "One of," you are telling the reader that there is more than one defender.

Paolo

P.S. Is the question "Would it mean that Manchester United has/have just one
defender If I rewrote the sentence in the following way?" correctly written?
Also, would you please give me some alternatives to this question?

*** You need to put a comma after "defender" and then continue the sentence with a small "i" on "if."  The rest of the sentence is correct.

EXAMPLE:  Have I correctly written the following sentence:  [And then you type your sentence.]

Is this sentence correctly written:  [And then you type your sentence.]

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt