General Writing and Grammar Help/My mistakes

Question
QUESTION: Hi

Hope you are fine!

I would like to ask you about my mistakes.

You say that the sentence "Like mom, I, too, have undergone a big transformation." should be as follows:

"Like mom [capitalize because you are using this as a proper name], I, too, [good comma use!] have undergone."

Here is my question: Which letter should be capitalized and why?
Would you please explain your reasons?

Many thanks

ANSWER: I don't know your mother's name, but let's say that it is Afareen.

To her grandparents, mother, father, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, etc., she is Afareen.  They call her "Afareen."

To you, she is your mother.  You call her "Mom."  

In both of these cases, =Afareen= and =Mom= are proper names.  They need to be capitalized.

~~

Here is the corrected sentence from your essay.  I have used the correction I wrote, and I have also have put in your mother's name as a second example.

Like Mom, I, too, have undergone....
Like Afareen, I, too, have undergone....

~~

There is another construction in which you would not capitalize =Mom=.  That is when you insert the possessive pronoun =my=.

Like my mom, I, too, have undergone....

Best wishes for a great week!
mb

PS.  I don't feel comfortable Skyping....but that is a lovely thing to suggest.

QUESTION: Many thanks to you.

So, according to what you said, I have concluded that in my future letters, I have to write the letter "m" in the words "mother or mom" in capital if I want to use these words in my future letters.

Should always the letter "m" in those words be in capital?

For example, is the following sentence correct?

"I like my Mom.:

Thanks a lot

Answer
No, you use a capital letter if you are using the word as a name you call a person.

I like Bill.
I like Jennifer.

~~

The fact that =mom= can be used as a general descriptive noun that identifies a group of people name and also a specific name for a specific person from that group of people is the problem.

For only your parents and grandparents, use a capital letter for their name because that is what you call them.

Suppose you come into the house and want to know where your mother is, you call out, "Mom!!!!"

I like Mom.
I like my mom.

I like Dad.
I like my dad.

I like Grandmother.
I like my grandmother.

I like Grandfather
I like my grandfather.

~~

For other members of your family, friends, etc., you would use the general term and =my= or their given name.

I like Aunt June.
I like my aunt.

I like Uncle David.
I like my uncle.

I like Bill.
I like my friend.

~~

Is this better?
mb  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis