General Writing and Grammar Help/Come to a place - come over to a place

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to come to a place" and "to come OVER to a place"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there any difference between "to come to a place" and "to come OVER to a
place"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

*** There is just one very slight difference between the two phrases.  "Come TO" can refer to any place or any event.  "Come OVER TO" suggests that the place of event is close to where you are.

EXAMPLES:

I plan to COME to your home in Pisa, when I have saved enough money to make the trip.  [The context of the sentence indicates that I am nowhere near Pisa.]

I plan to COME OVER to your house later today.  [This context suggests that I am near to your home.]

Generally, Paolo, we use COME, rather than COME OVER.  COME OVER is more casual.  I will COME to your party next week.  [This is the common usage.]

I will COME OVER to your party as soon as I change my clothes.  [This sentence infers that (1) your party is currently happening and (2) I do not live very far from your home.]

Use COME OVER to some place ONLY when that place is near to you.

Use COME to some place at all other times.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt