General Writing and Grammar Help/About a preposition.

Question
Dear Ted,

How are you?

Now I would like to ask you a question. In this sentence: Children should show their respect for their teachers.
Can we say:Children should show their respect to their teachers?

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Walden

Answer
Dear Walden:

Did I do something wrong?  You didn't give me your usual nomination as volunteer of the month!

Ted
***************************************************************

Now I would like to ask you a question. In this sentence: Children should show
their respect for their teachers.

*** Either way is correct, but it depends on what you mean.

Children should show their respect TO their teachers.  Their teachers must be present.  The only way the children can show respect TO the teachers is if the teachers are actually there -- in the room, in the school -- to RECEIVE the respect.

Children should show their respect FOR their teachers.  In this sentence, the teachers do NOT have to be present.  For instance, if a child respects his math teacher and wants to show his respect, he will do his math assignments at home and bring them to class to give to his teacher.

The students SHOWS respect by following the suggestions and advice and assignments of his teacher.  The teacher does NOT have to be present while the student is showing the respect.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt