General Writing and Grammar Help/Ref: question

Question
Good day
With reference to the following two sentences.
Version 1
As an individual, I possess a strong work ethic, am dependable,and would do what it takes to be successful if given the opportunity.
Version 2
As an individual, I possess a strong work ethic, is dependable,and would do what it takes to be successful if given the opportunity.

Can you tell me which is correct. The main difference is the am and the is.

Sunil Mahabir
Pembroke Pines, Florida

Answer
The first sentence is best.
Remember you are writing in the present tense (i.e., I am, etc).  You don't say "I is," you need to say "I am."  So, you say, "As an individual, I possess a strong work ethic, am dependable...."  Be sure that everything is in the present tense.  Joel

General Writing and Grammar Help

Joel Bjorling