General Writing and Grammar Help/GET revenge on someone - TAKE revenge on someone

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to GET revenge on someone" and "to TAKE revenge on someone"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there any difference between "to GET revenge on someone" and "to TAKE revenge
on someone"?

*** There is NO difference, except that TAKE sounds more "active" than "get."  If you GET something, you RECEIVE it.  You don't necessarily perform any action.  "TAKE" means that you act.  Most people use the two phrases interchangeably.

*** I find interesting, Paolo.  In the last two weeks, I have had this question three times.  The first times, the questioners were from Asia.  Getting/taking revenge seems to be a "hot topic."   I wonder if President Obama's speech a few days before the election has anything to do with the use of "revenge."

On Friday in Springfield, Ohio, Obama added the phrase: "Voting is the best revenge."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt