General Writing and Grammar Help/Search - research #3

Question
Dear Ted:

In one of my previous message, the one regarding the IRA terrorist, I wrote the following:

As a librarian, I think, you have access to a huger database. Would you please search/research the article for me?

My question is this:

Should I use "search" or "research" in the above question?

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo.

Answer
Dear Paolo:

In one of my previous message, the one regarding the IRA terrorist, I wrote the
following:

As a librarian, I think, you have access to a huger database. Would you please
search/research the article for me?

My question is this:

*** Use "research" -- you are asking me to FIND the article.  If you use "search," it means I already have the article, and you are asking me to read or scan it for a particular item.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt