General Writing and Grammar Help/Search - research

Question
Dear Ted:

If both are correct, is there any difference between the following two sentences?

1) Would you please search the article for me?

2) Would you please research the article for me?

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If both are correct, is there any difference between the following two
sentences?

*** There is a slight difference between the two.

"Search the article" suggests that I already have a copy of the article, and you are asking me to look for a specific item within the article.

EXAMPLE: Would you please SEARCH THE ARTICLE [read through it] and tell me if there is any mention of a study conducted by Harvard University?

"Research the article" means that you have an idea about an article that you do NOT and than you are asking me to find for you.

EXAMPLE:  Would you please RESEARCH THE ARTICLE in your database and tell me if you can find that particular article?

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt