General Writing and Grammar Help/Search or reserach the Web

Question
Dear Ted:

The difference between "search" and "research" is still not quite clear to me.

Is it "to search the Web/the Internet" or "to research the Web/the Internet"?

If both are possible, do they mean the same thing?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the sentence "The difference between 'search' and 'research' is still not quite clear to me" grammatically correct?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** I understand your confusion, Paolo.  Most people use these words interchangeably.  "Search" is the more general of the two.  For instance, you can SEARCH for your missing shoe.  However, it would be very strange to tell someone that you are RESEARCH for your missing shoe.  Think of RESEARCH as exploration for a very serious object or thing, such as the answer to an important question.  SEARCH is usually NOT as strong a word -- in its connotation -- as RESEARCH.

*** Many people would interchange the two words.  I would not.

If not, when should I use each of them?

*** I would use "search the internet."  I would perform "research ON the internet."   It might help you see things more clearly, if you use "search" as a verb and "research" as a noun.  I know that both words are used as verbs, but I'm trying to explain the difference between the two.

Would you please give me some examples?

EXAMPLES:

While working on my RESEARCH project, I SEARCHED the internet for related information.

My professor advised me to use the internet for my extensive RESEARCH.

I SEARCHED the internet in order to find pet shops in my area.

After having SEARCHED the internet for hours, I decided to RESEARCH my topic, using other resources.  I found many books in the library that were of great significance to my topic.

A SEARCH may take only a few minutes, but true RESEARCH could last a very long time.

Ted

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the sentence "The difference between 'search' and 'research' is
still not quite clear to me" grammatically correct?

*** Yes

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt