General Writing and Grammar Help/Come up short

Question
Dear Ted:

Would you please have a look at the following paragraph and explain what "came up short here" mean?

Also, would you please give me some examples of how to use the above expression/phrase?

Here is the paragraph:

The English side can reflect on two deflections effectively costing them the points but to do so would deny the fact Juventus controlled this game from beginning to end. Their passing, movement and determination was visibly greater than their opponents and Antonio Conte’s tactics – decried as going “back twenty years” by Fabio Capello this week – were ideally tailored to the game. The same cannot be said of Di Matteo’s and, while his sacking is a ridiculously hyperbolic overreaction, he and Chelsea both CAME UP SHORT here.

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

P.S. Is it "Would you please HAVE a look at something" or "Would you please TAKE a look at something"?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Would you please have a look at the following paragraph and explain what "came
up short here" mean?

Also, would you please give me some examples of how to use the above
expression/phrase?

Here is the paragraph:

The English side can reflect on two deflections effectively costing them the
points but to do so would deny the fact Juventus controlled this game from
beginning to end. Their passing, movement and determination was visibly greater
than their opponents and Antonio Conte’s tactics – decried as going “back twenty
years” by Fabio Capello this week – were ideally tailored to the game. The same
cannot be said of Di Matteo’s and, while his sacking is a ridiculously
hyperbolic overreaction, he and Chelsea both CAME UP SHORT here.

*** "Came up short" means that they did not play well enough to win.  When they CAME UP to the end of the match, Di Matteos and his team arrived SHORT of the victory.  In other words, they LOST.

When we counted the money we raised at the bake sale, we came up short [didn't reach] our goal of $100.

Jack CAME UP SHORT in the brain department.  [A slang expression meaning that Jack is not very intelligent.]

Romney, who came up short in the total votes cast, lost the election to Obama.

Ted

*** Either one is good.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt