General Writing and Grammar Help/Split - split up

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences is correct and natural?

1) The couple/The band SPLIT in 1976.

2) The couple/The band SPLIT UP in 1976.

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

Also, would you please list some alternatives to "split/split up" that may be used in the above sentences?

Finally, what verb/verbs or phrase/phrases do you use when a member of a rock band leaves the group for good?

As always, many, many thanks for valuable help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

1) The couple/The band SPLIT in 1976.

*** You want to use "split up."  "Split" is not appropriate in this instance.  You can "split" your trousers, for instance.  But, you cannot "split up" your trousers.  

Also, would you please list some alternatives to "split/split up" that may be
used in the above sentences?

*** The band BROKE UP.  The group DISBANDED.  The couple ENDED their relationship.  

Finally, what verb/verbs or phrase/phrases do you use when a member of a rock
band leaves the group for good?

*** When just one person leaves the group, you can simply say that he LEFT.  Another word is QUIT.  In a more formal way, you can say that he DEPARTED.  Here's an idiomatic expression: John WALKED AWAY from the group in 1976. "Walked away" is an idiom for LEFT or QUIT.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt