General Writing and Grammar Help/When I try it

Question
QUESTION: Kate: My convertible is the fastest car of all kinds of car and consumes the least gas at the moment.
Jenny: I doubt it! I'll believe it until I try it / I doubt it! I'll believe it when I try it.

- Dear Ted! Can I use this short dialogue in an everyday conversation?

Thank you so much

ANSWER: Dear Steven:

Question:
Kate: My convertible is the fastest car of all kinds of car and consumes the
least gas at the moment.
Jenny: I doubt it! I'll believe it until I try it / I doubt it! I'll believe it
when I try it.

*** The response by Jenny is fine, but Kate's comment is not good.

There are two basic problems:

1.  "fastest car of all kinds of car" -- You have used the word "car" two times and they appear very close together.  Besides, it should be "all kinds of CARS."  You can rewrite the words this way:  My convertible is the fastest of all cars.

2.  "consumes the least gas at the moment" -- It is unclear to me what you mean.  Are you saying this car "gets the best mileage per gallon"?  Steven, if you use the phrase "at the moment," you are suggesting that, at a DIFFERENT TIME [or moment], the car will consume MORE gas.  I do not think that is what you mean.

Even in "everyday conversation," what you say should be completely clear to your listener.  The two problems I just explained make the conversation UNCLEAR.

You need to revise Kate's words.

Ted

QUESTION: Dear Ted!

- This is a revised version of Kate.

"My convertible is the fastest of all cars. It uses/consumes very little petrol/gas."

- What I mean by this sentence is "My convertible uses very little gas so I don't have to pay too much for the gas" :). So does my revised version sound more natural? By the way, what does "get the best mileage" mean in this context?

Thank you very much and good night Ted.

Answer
Dear Steven:

- This is a revised version of Kate.

"My convertible is the fastest of all cars. It uses/consumes very little
petrol/gas."

- What I mean by this sentence is "My convertible uses very little gas so I
don't have to pay too much for the gas" :). So does my revised version sound
more natural? By the way, what does "get the best mileage" mean in this context?

*** Your revision is much better.  You can improve it by adding the word "also" after "It" in the second sentence.  The reason why I suggest adding this word is because your first sentence relates to the car's speed.  The second sentence changes the focus from speed to gas consumption.  The word "also" introduces this second focus.

"The best mileage" means how far you can travel on one gallon of gasoline.

A.  My car gets 10 miles to the gallon.
B.  My car gets 20 miles to the gallon.
C.  My car gets 30 miles to the gallon.

When you look at the three sentences, you can see that C's car gets the best mileage.  With gasoline prices constantly rising, many car buyers are choosing cars that can travel the furthest on one gallon of gasoline.  The abbreviation in this country is "mpg."  New cars must have a notice on them showing how many "miles per gallon" [mpg] they are able to travel without adding additional gasoline.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt