General Writing and Grammar Help/Is the word "solar-powered" an adjective?

Question
Hello Ted,
Is the word "solar-powered" an adjective in the following sentence?
"I bought a solar-powered car."

Answer
Dear Glen:

"I bought a solar-powered car."

*** It is a COMPOUND ADJECTIVE.  The two words must be hyphenated, because, standing alone, they do not both modify the noun "car."

Test it yourself:

I bought a solar car.
I bought a powered car.

The word "powered" is the past participle of the verb "to power."  Participles are NOT VERBS; they are VERB FORMS that are used as other parts of speech.  Whether the participle is present [powering] or past [powered], it is used as an adjective -- NOT A VERB.  Another adjective, SOLAR, describes the kind of power.

It makes no sense unless the two words are used as one, a compound adjective.   That's why the hyphen is used -- to combine the two words into one word.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt