General Writing and Grammar Help/for whom - for

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct?

1) My geology professor, for whom I am collecting data, is in Iceland for two weeks.

2) My geology professor, I am collecting data for, is in Iceland for two weeks.

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

1) My geology professor, for whom I am collecting data, is in Iceland for two
weeks.

*** The first sentence is correct.  Think of the parenthetical clause as being in this word order:  I am collecting data FOR WHOM.  WHOM is the object of the preposition FOR.

In the second sentence, there is NO OBJECT for the preposition OF.  Prepositions must have objects.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt