General Writing and Grammar Help/Attitude TO sthg - attitudeTOWARD(S) sthg

Question
Dear Ted:

Do you say/write, "attitude TO something" or "attitude TOWARD(S) something"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If not, when should I use each of them?

*** You cannot write "attitude TO something."  It has no meaning.  You CAN write "attitude TOWARD something."  You can also have "an attitude ABOUT something.}

Would you please give me some examples?

John's attitude TOWARD his fellow students made everyone think he was self-centered and rude.

The United States has a very cautious attitude TOWARD North Korea.

Her attitude ABOUT herself made everyone else dislike her.  She presented an air of authority, but she was just an ordinary person.

Mary has an attitude ABOUT snakes and spiders:  She hates them.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt