General Writing and Grammar Help/Break all ties

Question
Dear Ted:

Does the idiom "to break all ties" exist?

If so, what is its meaning?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use it correctly?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, what is its meaning?

*** It exists, and it means "to cut off or sever all relationships with another person or a group of people."

*** Jack and Janet mutually decided to break all ties with each other, after they had a very serious disagreement.

Some countries break all ties with other countries:  The United States has no formal relationship with several countries, including Iran and North Korea.

During the Reformation, the Protestants broke all ties with the Roman Catholics.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt