General Writing and Grammar Help/classification

Question
Dear Ted,

Can you please tell me how to classify the following:

“in fact”
“as a matter of fact”
“actually”
“for example”

Can these be used as subordinating conjunctions?

Thank you

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

“in fact”
“as a matter of fact”
“actually”
“for example”

*** "Actually" is an adverb.  The other three are prepositional phrases.

I cannot think of any situations in which they would serve as subordinating conjunctions.  
However, ALL of them can be conjunctive adverbs.

I like to eat ice cream; in fact, I could eat ice cream at every meal.

He didn't attend today's meeting; as a matter of fact, he has missed the last six meetings.

Queen Elizabeth has reigned for decades; actually, she holds the record as the longest-serving monarch.

Many U. S. cities have very high crime rates; for example, Chicago has had more murders per capita this year than any other city.

In other instances when the four are used WITHIN a sentence, they are parenthetical expressions, intended to emphasize some other point.

Chicago, actually, has the highest crime rate of all U. S. cities.

New York, as a matter of fact, has seen a decrease in major crimes each year in the last decade.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt