General Writing and Grammar Help/conjunctive adverb/parenthetical expression

Question
Dear Ted,

Can you please tell me if “conjunctive adverbs” are used to modify words.

Does the conjunctive adverb “for example” modify a word in the following sentence:
“I like to study English grammar; for example, I study English grammar every day.”

Can you also please tell me whether or not “parenthetical expressions” are used to modify words.

Does the parenthetical expression “for example” modify a word in the following sentence:  “English grammar, for example, is very interesting.”

In regards to the prepositional phrase “for example”, can you please tell me if “for example” is only used as either a conjunctive adverb or as a parenthetical expression. Or, can “for example” also be classified in some other way?

Thank you very, very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

Does the conjunctive adverb “for example” modify a word in the following
sentence:
“I like to study English grammar; for example, I study English grammar every
day.”

*** Conjunctive adverbs are NOT modifiers.  They JOIN; they do not modify.  They are like conjunctions in the respect.  Conjunctions JOIN; they do not modify.

Can you also please tell me whether or not “parenthetical expressions” are used
to modify words.

*** NO

Does the parenthetical expression “for example” modify a word in the following
sentence:  “English grammar, for example, is very interesting.”

*** NO

In regards to the prepositional phrase “for example”, can you please tell me if
“for example” is only used as either a conjunctive adverb or as a parenthetical
expression. Or, can “for example” also be classified in some other way?

*** Parenthetical expressions are "asides."  Because they can be IN a sentence OR removed FROM a sentence, these expressions are said to have "no grammatical relationship" to anything in the sentence itself.

*** There are some people who use this "classification" for "for example,""for instance," and similar phrases:  (1) openers [at the beginning of a sentence]; (2) interrupters [in the sentence itself; and, (3) closers [at the end of a sentence].

They are also called "words of transition."  Here is a list of the words that can be used to make transitions:

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style-and-usage/list-transition-words.html

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt