General Writing and Grammar Help/Make A difference - make THE difference

Question
Dear Ted:

Do you say/write, "to make A difference" or "to make THE difference"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

For instance, should I say, "People who make THE difference" or "People who make A difference"?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** Both are correct, but they have different meanings.  "A difference" is very general."  "THE difference is quite specific."

EXAMPLE:  

Elected politician to the people at his victory celebration:  "All of you made A difference in my campaign."  [Very general expression]

A man to his fiance:  "You are THE difference that has changed my life."  [Very specific]

For instance, should I say, "People who make THE difference" or "People who make
A difference"?

*** Either one of these can be used.  Most often we say "make A difference," because there is nothing specific mentioned.  However, if you are referring to a particular incident or action performed by the people, you would use "THE."  You are the people who made THE difference in stopping the mass slaughter of whales.  [These people formed a blockade with their votes, preventing the whaling ships from reaching the whales.]

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt