General Writing and Grammar Help/They are different uses of "getting past" in different settings.

Question
Dear Ted:

I'm getting back to you because I don't understand what you mean by "They are different uses of "getting past" in different settings."

Would you please explain it further?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

I shouldn't have included the two sentences, but you often ask me for examples.  

Your question had to do with someone walking or going or getting past something else.

I was trying to show you that "getting past" is often used in situations that have nothing to do with a person walking -- or a person performing any other kind of "movement."

For instance, you can GET PAST some event or ordeal in your life.  EXAMPLE:  Once I GET PAST the next exam, the rest of my math course will be easy.

GET PAST often means "overcome."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt