General Writing and Grammar Help/Fall down, fall off & fall over

Question
Dear Ted:
Which of the following sentences is/are grammatically correct?

1) He fell DOWN and hurt his knee.

2) He fell OFF and hurt his knee.

3) He fell OVER and hurt his knee.

If all three are possible, do they have the same meaning?

As always, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

1) He fell DOWN and hurt his knee.

CORRECT

2) He fell OFF and hurt his knee.

YOU NEED TO NAME WHERE HE WAS WHEN HE FELL - HE FELL OFF HIS BICYCLE AND HURT HIS KNEE.

3) He fell OVER and hurt his knee.

UNLESS YOU NAME SOMETHING THAT WAS IN HIS WAY, IT'S HARD TO IMAGINE ANYONE FALLING "OVER."  THIS SENTENCE WORKS -- HE FELL OVER THE SMALL TABLE AND HURT HIS KNEE.

*** YES.  If you make the changes that I suggested, all of them mean that he fell -- usually in a downward direction.  There are exceptions, of course.  He could FALL UP the stairs.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt