General Writing and Grammar Help/HE FELL OVER THE SMALL TABLE AND HURT HIS KNEE.

Question
Dear Ted:

In one of your previous messages, you gave the following example:

HE FELL OVER THE SMALL TABLE AND HURT HIS KNEE.

My question is this:

Does the above sentence still work if I use "FELL DOWN" or "FELL OFF"?

Again, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "Does the above sentence still work if I use 'FELL DOWN' or 'FELL OFF'" correctly written?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

My question is this:

*** He fell DOWN the small table makes no sense.  

You can use "He fell OFF the small table," but that sounds odd.  Unless you are talking about a small child, what would HE be doing on a small table?

I used "He fell OVER" to suggest that he stumbled and tripped,  when his foot struck the small table.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt