General Writing and Grammar Help/Finished - used up

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following examples is grammatically correct?

1) We have USED UP all the sugar. Please go buy some more.

2) We have FINISHED all the sugar. Please go buy some more.

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

By the way, is it correct to write, "Please GO BUY some more" or should I have written, "Please GO AND BUY some more"? What about "Please GO TO BUY some more"?

Again, many, many thanks for your valuable help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Both are correct, and they mean the same.  #1 is used more commonly than #2.

By the way, is it correct to write, "Please GO BUY some more" or should I have
written, "Please GO AND BUY some more"? What about "Please GO TO BUY some more"?

*** "Please go buy some more" is correct, although you don't really need "go."  "Please GO AND BUY" is wrong.  The reason for going is stated in an infinitive -- to buy.  Therefore, "Please go to BUY some more" is the correct phrasing.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt