General Writing and Grammar Help/Herd animal

Question
Dear Ted:

I have just received an e-mail message that contained the following sentences:

Hereís the best tip for getting the best out of 2013: get busy now. Donít be a herd animal.

My question is this:

What does "a herd animal" mean?

Also, would you please give me some examples of how to use the above expression correctly?

Thank you,

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the sentence "I have just received an e-mail message that contained the following sentences:" correctly formulated and punctuated?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Hereís the best tip for getting the best out of 2013: get busy now. Donít be a
herd animal.

My question is this:

What does "a herd animal" mean?

*** A "herd animal" is one member of a group, such as cows, sheep, geese, etc.  Herd animals do not act on their own.  They do not take the initiative to do anything.  They follow.  They do not lead.  If one sheep falls over a cliff, there is a likelihood that all the other sheep in the herd will follow.

Also, would you please give me some examples of how to use the above expression
correctly?

John was the leader of the students; he was not a herd animal.

If you want to stop being a herd animal, you must step forward and start leading.

Thank you,

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the sentence "I have just received an e-mail message that contained
the following sentences:" correctly formulated and punctuated?

*** YES

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt