General Writing and Grammar Help/Look TO someone

Dear Ted:

What does "to look TO someone" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above phrase correctly?

Thank you,

Dear Paolo:

What does "to look TO someone" mean?

*** Without any other context, this phrase suggests that you are seeking the opinion of or looking for guidance from another person.  That person is held in high esteem, and you would value his views.

When I get in trouble, I look to my older brother to help me.

Many people look to the volunteers at Allexperts for answers to their questions.

Marco was having a moral problem, so he looked to his priest for guidance.

Having completed his novel, John looked to a professional editor for advice about making his story better.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy